Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My tumultuous bridesmaid dress journey.... I thought this was supposed to be easy??


The color of my bridesmaid dresses has switched about 5 times. Truth.

When I first thought about my wedding, I wanted the girls to wear an olive green color or some other shade of green. Then after we figured out our venue was going to be outside, I changed my mind and thought I would pick a merlot/plum/wine color. After further thinking I realized I didn't think a dark color was "me." So I thought of colors that I feel represent me and coral/salmon came to mind. I was pretty much set on coral for the longest time over the past couple of months. It wasn't until my bridesmaids started trying on dresses that I realized there are many shades of coral and not all dresses that I like/look flattering on the girls came in the specific shade of coral I was looking for. After lots of Google searches I found out the specific color I wanted was called "tulip." As we looked around David's Bridal, New Things West and BB's Bridal I was disappointed that I couldn't find "tulip" in a non-chiffon sweetheart neckline, tea length dress in matte satin.  Most "tulip" shade dresses were chiffon which didn't fit my vision. In the midst of not finding the right color, I did find the right dresses for the girls. In a moment of exasperation I thought that I would completely change my colors and go with bright turquoise (kind of a cross between Tiffany's blue and robins egg). After pumping myself up and letting my whole office know I had decided on a new color palette, I had the weekend to think it over. By Monday I knew that the turquoise color was not going to work... It didn't fit in my vision and just completely changed my vibe/feel I wanted for my wedding.

As I started describing my wedding to myself there were some important key words that kept popping up... "romantic" and "vintage" and "elegant" were the most common. My whole life I have told everyone that I have never been a "pink" person. I always wanted things in blues and greens and turquoise. I think it was because my mom and grandma both love purple so much and my sisters liked hot pink and such that I HAD to be different. I didn't want to like the same stuff. So I convinced myself I didn't like pink. The reality is that coral is a shade of pink and I love certain types of pink.

It was this revelation along with my description of my wedding that I realized I wanted a shade of pink for the bridesmaid dresses. More specifically I picked a "blush" very light pink. I feel like it fits my vision and overall mood of my wedding and I'm excited to see it with the rest of my decorations and venue. I plan on having accent colors of ivory, slightly darker light pink, champagnes and golds. I am a pearls and lace type of person so I will incorporate a dash of those items in the decor as well.

It was a long journey to finalize the bridesmaid dresses and wedding colors but I couldn't be happier with my decision. The girls ordered their dresses and now it's time for Val and I to start looking at tuxes for the groomsmen.

Everything is coming together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment